One Christmas when my older sister was young, she decided to chart and record every single holiday special she could onto VHS tapes. I can’t tell you definitively what year that was, only that it was the 90’s and featured a lot of 70’s & earlier Christmas movies. Those are the tapes I grew up watching with my siblings.
I actually still have some of the tapes, and the honest-to-goodness best part? Watching the commercials. I know.
Now, as I’ve got older my sister and I have added movies like The Holiday and Love Actually to our “must watch movies” but on Boxing Day as we slowly wind down our Christmas spirit.
Becca and I have comprised a list of some of our favourite holiday movies (although there are some we disagree on, see #11a/b) – hopefully we encourage you to branch out! Who knows, maybe I’ll watch some Arthur …
15 Must Watch Christmas Movies
- A Christmas Story
- White Christmas
- The Santa Claus
- Arthur’s Perfect Christmas (Yes, Arthur the cartoon aardvark. Don’t hate, this is truly one of the best Christmas specials and I’m always so excited to watch it! -B)
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- The Holiday
- Love Actually
- Disney’s Sing-Along Songs: Very Merry Christmas (what, you mean you don’t still have the VHS? -K)
- a) Home Alone (the 1st one only! -B)
b) Home Alone 2 (All others are blehh -K)
- Frosty The Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer & Santa Claus is Coming to Town (must be watched together!)
- Miracle on 34th Street (1994) OR (1947)
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas BOTH VERSIONS
- “The Stingiest Man in Town” (1978) (My fav. version of Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol”-K)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- xo, Becca & Kris